Visiting with your parent during the holiday season is a wonderful time to make memories and improve your relationship. It is also an opportunity for you to check in with them and identify changes that might indicate they need further care and assistance. This allows you to make meaningful changes to your caregiver approach to help your parent stay healthier and safer, and enjoy a higher quality of life as they age. This evaluation can begin even before you encounter your senior by looking around the outside of their home.
Some things to look out for outside of your parent’s home during your holiday visit that might indicate they need care include:
- Several days worth of mail in the mailbox that might indicate your parent is not able to get out to the mailbox, or that they do not remember to check it
- Newspapers built up at the end of the driveway
- Scrapes, scratches, dings, dents, and other signs of damage to their vehicle that might be an indication they are not driving as safely. This could mean they are struggling with low vision or hearing problems, do not have the physical ability to drive any longer, or are dealing with a cognitive functioning decline
- An overgrown lawn or signs that your parent has not properly cared for their lawn or garden, especially if this is something they have taken great pride in and enjoyed throughout their life. This could be an indication of depression, cognitive functioning decline, or physical challenges
If you notice these changes, it is important to pay close attention to your parent during your visit. Identify other symptoms of challenges or behaviors that are concerning. Do not hesitate to talk to them about what you have noticed and make plans together to handle them, such as starting elder care for them.
If you feel your aging parent is not functioning as well as they could, or that they would benefit from additional support and care, elder care may be the ideal solution. An elderly home care services provider can give your parent a set of personalized care services specifically designed to help them not only manage their challenges and limitations but also to pursue a greater level of independence and autonomy as they age. This can include transportation, meal preparation, medication reminders, mobility assistance, and more. As a family caregiver, knowing your parent has this type of care can be reassuring and can help you experience less stress and more confidence in all stages of your care experience with your parent.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering professional elder care in Newtown Square, PA, talk to Unlimited Staffing Solutions. Specializing in Home and Community Based Support Waiver Services Since 2001. Please Call Us for Your Home Care Needs (215) 447-7133
- Is Your Senior Missing More Choices than You Think? - April 23, 2020
- Do You Need to Help Care for Your Elderly Loved One? - April 13, 2020
- Brain Enrichment Ideas for Your Elderly Loved One - March 23, 2020