As a family caregiver, one of the most important things that you can do is to protect your aging parent against the serious health conditions and issues that they may face as they age in place. The first step in doing this is being aware of the risk factors that they have for certain conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Knowing these risk factors can allow you to take steps to lower this personal risk for your parent, and to prepare yourself to give your loved one the care that they need if this condition does develop during their later years.
Some of the risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease include:
- The risk for developing Alzheimer’s increases with age. Approximately 10 percent of people over the age of 64 are living with the disease, and this number increases to approximately 30 percent for those over the age of 85.
- Family history. Those who have a parent, sibling, or child who has been diagnosed with the condition are at a higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- Genetic factors. There are hereditary factors that can play a role in your senior’s risk of developing dementia.
- Cardiovascular disease. Those with cardiovascular health issues are at higher risk of suffering from dementia. This includes heart disease, history of stroke and heart attack, and others.
- Health issues. Other health issues including dementia, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and more can also increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lifestyle choices. Your parent might also be at increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease if they make certain lifestyle choices, such as eating an unhealthy diet, overusing alcohol, smoking, or abusing chemical substances.
- History of head injuries. If your parent has experienced a head injury during their life, they may be at higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Starting elderly care can be a fantastic way to help your parent achieve and maintain a higher quality of life as they age in place. This elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to fill care gaps, support your aging parent through their daily needs, and help them to live the most fulfilling, independent, and active lifestyle possible throughout their later years. Through a set of highly personalized services this care provider can help your parent to stay healthy, safe, happy, and comfortable, and pursue more meaning in this new chapter of their life. Not only will this be beneficial for them, but for you as their family caregiver. This care can give you reassurance that your parent is in the best hands, easing your stress and allowing you to focus on other obligations in your life.
If you or an loved-one are considering professional elderly care in Radnor, PA, talk to Unlimited Staffing Solutions. Specializing in Home and Community Based Support Waiver Services Since 2001. Please Call Us for Your Home Care Needs (215) 447-713
- Is Your Senior Missing More Choices than You Think? - April 23, 2020
- Do You Need to Help Care for Your Elderly Loved One? - April 13, 2020
- Brain Enrichment Ideas for Your Elderly Loved One - March 23, 2020